Psychologist Dr Marianne Trent collaborates with Wheelwrights to give insight into why a trip to the Lake District would boost your mental and physical health this Autumn/ Winter. Beat the Winter blues with beautiful views, cosy cottages and great walks. For a variety of reasons, the cooler months can be difficult for mental health, and as a direct result, their physical health as well. As the days get shorter and the air gets colder, we need all the inspiration we can get to look after ourselves properly.
To help, Wheelwrights have collaborated with psychologist Dr. Marianne Trent to give you the top 6 reasons a trip to the Lake District would be good for both your head and your heart this autumn.
Why the Lake District is Good for You
“The Lake District is a particularly wonderful place to support your mental and physical health during the cooler months”, says Dr Trent. “That’s because it can be difficult to feel connected to nature or appreciate the landscape when we are sitting in a traffic jam or working at a computer. The Lakes offers so many ways for us to nourish our soul and practice mindful connection to the now”.
Why is the Lake District good for you? Dr Trent says it’s down to these five things:
1. Being surrounded by nature, and wildlife and discovering beautiful views. Immersing yourself in nature can be a therapeutic, as well as meditative experience, and there’s nothing like a gorgeous landscape to make you feel like you’ve got the most out of your day.
2. The ability to indulge in the finer things in life with a stay in a cosy Lakes cottage with comfy beds, hot chocolate and a plentiful selection of board games. Including new pastimes such as these can quickly establish habits which boost mood. Bonus points if they include another person you enjoy spending time with too!
3. The chance to move our bodies in beautiful surroundings. For example, you could try kayaking, paddle boarding, cycling or walking. The benefits to our mental and physical health can be plentiful. Whatever your activity level, committing to showing your body kindness and love by moving it every day can be life-changing, and the choice is endless in the Lakes.
4. Mobile phone signal isn’t always the best in the Lakes so rather than that being problematic you could choose to use your time away to enjoy a mindful break from being switched on. This can pay rich dividends to us in terms of stress release and connection.
5. Being by water offers us a wonderful opportunity to tap into all 5 of our senses: we can hear the water and wildlife, and smell our peaceful surroundings. feel the wind upon our skin, taste the freshness of the air and see a variety of colours.